I am frequently asked by parents for book recommendations for their children struggling with anxiety. There are many great Books for Kids with Anxiety out there, here are a few**:
- What to Do when You Worry too Much. This is a children’s guide to dealing with their anxiety and is appropriate for younger children (4-12). It teaches them techniques they can use to reduce their worries and anxieties.
- Wemberly Worried. This is a story of a young mouse with anxiety. Doesn’t teach techniques but is a relatable character for young kids with anxiety and fears.
- Coping Skills Workbook for Kids. This is not specific to anxiety, but contains coping techniques for kids for stress, anger, and anxiety.
- Scaredies Away. This one teaches a specific technique to reduce fear in kids. It works amazingly well for some kids, and not for others, but it’s worth a try!
- The Anxiety Workbook for Kids. This is a workbook that parents can go through with their kids, it uses therapy-based activities and worksheets.
- The Color Monster. This is a picture book that uses colors to describe different feelings and emotions. This one is good for younger kids (baby to 6 or 7).
- But What If? This is a picture book about a girl who is very worried about change. Her grandparent helps her think through her worries.
- The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes. This book helps kids see that mistakes are ok! Helps kids reduce anxiety about making mistakes and taking chances.
- The Invisible String. This is a great children’s book for dealing with separation anxiety and loss. It tells a lovely story about people are connected even when they are apart.
- Breathe Like a Bear. This book teaches kids exercises, like breathing techniques, they can do manage stress and anxiety.
**Note, we will receive a small fee if you purchase from these links to Books for Kids with Anxiety, and we will apply those dollars right back into creating more posts and resources for you and your family
Dr. Sean Paul, MD is a child psychiatrist who treats children with anxiety and other mental health issues.