The symptoms of moderate to severe depression are debilitating and include problems sleeping, poor concentration at work, fighting with a significant other or child, and low energy. What can people do on their own to deal with the symptoms of depression? First of all, it’s important to underline that severe and moderate depression is best treated by professionals such as a psychiatrist or psychologist. However, there are many things that people with mild depression or moderate/severe depression (while in treatment) can do to deal with depression.
Dealing with depression
- Take a brisk walk 15-20 min in the sunshine with a loved one.
- Work on being present. Pick up a book on Mindfulness or check out the below link.
- Eat a healthy diet based mainly on fresh foods and avoid high fat foods, salty foods, processed foods. Try NOOM.
- Get a Fitbit or similar product and use their app to motivate yourself to move more.
- Pick up a new hobby
- Plan social time regularly with friends. Make a Facebook group and plan outings!
- Plan a date night with your significant other. Make it sacred. Protect it.
- Learn a new language.
- Prioritize your sleep.
- Take a multivitamin and Omega-3 Fatty acids (fish oils)
- Challenge your thoughts. There are many ways to learn CBT including through websites.
- Try meditation
For mindfulness and other exercises for depression and anxiety:
For scientifically supported sleep with Insomnia WITHOUT medications:
For Omega-3’s and Depression:
Fitbit and Depression:
Learning a new language:
Changing eating and activity habits: